WAUSAU, Wis., (WSAW)-- Sidewalk salt is common in the winter time, but it can actually be toxic for your dog. Salt that is not pet friendly can lead to burns on your dog's paws and tongue.
To talk about what pet owners can do, Dr. Jamie Gifford joined the ‘Doctor Is In’ segment.
Salt is all too common during the winter months of Wisconsin. But chemicals found in salt used during the winter can lead to irritation, blisters or redness over time if the dog's paws are not properly wiped off after taking a walk outside.
If ingested salt and be toxic, that happens when dogs lick their paws.
There are some things you can do to avoid a trip to the veterinarian, such as wiping your dog's paws after a walk and checking to make sure he or she walks normally.
-Dog owners could considers paw booties or slippers as a precaution.
- Wipe or wash off the pets paws with warm water after being outside.
- Apply Vaseline to dry or cracked paws. The Vaseline can also serve as protection from cold sidewalks.
- Buy pet friendly ice melt. Salt with magnesium chloride is recommended, because it is diluted.