Colby beats St. Mary’s Springs in D6 State Championship game, wins first football state title since 2011

Published: Nov. 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MADISON, Wis. (WSAW) - The Colby Hornets beat St. Mary’s Springs 22-7 in the Division 6 Football State Championship game to claim the state title.

The state title is the Hornets’ first since 2011 and is their fourth gold ball in school history.

Quarterback Brent Jeske led the team in the game, scoring two touchdowns on the offensive side and adding another on a fumble recovery on the defensive side.

The defense was able to limit St. Mary’s Springs after the offense stalled in the second half, limiting the Ledgers to just one touchdown in the victory.

Game Recap:

Colby received the ball first and used that to their advantage. Caden Healy returned the kickoff 51 yards into St. Mary Springs territory. On the heels of the fast start, the Hornets were able to get the ball inside the five-yard line before quarterback Brent Jeske ran the ball into the endzone, giving Colby a 7-0 lead.

After a defensive stop, Colby got the ball back and was racing offensively again. After runs from Healy and Jeske, Jeske drove into the defense at the goal line for the one-yard score. Seven minutes into the game, Colby led 14-0.

After stopping the next St. Mary’s Springs drive, Colby threatened to score again. The drive stalled and a field goal was missed.

But the Colby defense came into play. A fumbled snap was picked up by Brent Jeske, who took the fumble 63 yards for his third touchdown of the day. It gave the Hornets a 20-0 lead.

But St. Mary’s Springs was able to break through the defense, with Levi Huempfner scoring a 52-yard touchdown to cut the deficit to 20-7.

In the second half, St. Mary’s Springs started with the ball but the Colby defense held strong again. A penalty pushed the Ledgers to third-and-long and they could not convert.

Both teams stalled throughout the third quarter, moving the game into the fourth quarter with Colby still leading 20-7.

In the fourth quarter, the Ledgers were going to punt the ball back to the Hornets. Colby was able to block the punt, giving them the ball back in Ledgers’ territory.

After getting the ball to the one-yard-line, Colby had a false start and elected to kick a field goal. The field goal was blocked, holding the score at 20-7.

The Ledgers had more chances to score, but couldn’t connect on multiple passes. Andrew Jeske sacked the quarterback in the endzone, forcing a safety and extending Colby’s lead to 22-7.

Local Reaction to their win:

Copyright 2021 WSAW. All rights reserved.