Lawsuit Filed Over Four Deaths in Wisconsin Horse Trailer

By  | 

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A woman whose parents and two daughters died from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping in a horse trailer before last year's World Clydesdale Show in Madison is suing the maker of a portable heater the victims were using.

The lawsuit filed in Dane County Circuit Court today by Karina Clay claims the company knew the heater was dangerous but sold it without safety warnings.

Found dead the morning of October 11th, 2007, were 68-year-old DeVere Clay and his 57-year-old wife Barbara Clay, who were Clydesdale breeders from Tomah, and their granddaughters, 10-year-old Erin Briney and 13-year-old Hope Briney.

They were at the Alliant Center in Madison to attend the World Clydesdale Show, which opened the next day.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from Mr. Heater Corporation and its parent company, Enerco Group, of Cleveland.

A phone message left by The Associated Press at Enerco Group headquarters was not immediately returned.