Unattended stove causes Wausau apartment fire

By  | 

WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAW) -- An unattended pot on the stove is to blame for an apartment fire Thursday morning in Wausau. The fire was reported around 9:10 a.m. on the 500 block of East Thomas Street.

Wausau Fire Department Battalion Chief Paul Czarapata there was a fire in a first-floor apartment toward the middle of the building. The damage was contained to the affected unit with minor smoke damage in the units above.

Tenants were evacuated to the Social Services building next door.

He said there were no injuries besides possible smoke inhalation. Most residents should be able to return Thursday night. The affected apartment will need repairs before the tenant can stay there again.

Czarapata said quick response time minimized damage.