IOLA, Wis. (WSAW) -- The Green Bay Packers have announced the Iola-Scandinavia Firebirds are one of 18 school to receive a $1,000 grant to be used for equipment, uniforms and improvement of football facilities. The Firebirds are a pee-wee athletic team.
All youth football programs in the state of Wisconsin were eligible to apply for the grant, and each were required to verify that they would raise $1,000 of their own funds in order to secure the matching grant.
The funds were secured through the NFL Foundation and the 2018 NFL Club Matching Youth/High School Football Program Grant. The program allows NFL club foundations to address and promote player health and safety initiatives at the youth level, identify youth and high school football needs and growth opportunities and assist fellow NFL clubs to replicate successful and creative youth football initiatives nationwide.
The programs selected include:
• Angels Youth Football Association, Racine
• Falcon Athletics, Green Bay
• Fox Valley Pop Warner, Appleton
• Horicon Youth Football, Horicon
• Lake Mills Area School District, Lake Mills
• Menasha Bluejay Middle School Football, Menasha
• MKE Buccaneers Football and Cheerleaders, Milwaukee
• Neighborhood Children's Sports League, Milwaukee
• New Lisbon Youth Football, New Lisbon
• Northwest Wisconsin Champions, Eau Claire
• Oconto Falls Youth Football, Oconto Falls
• Reedsburg Youth Football, Reedsburg
• RYS U11-U12 BENGALS, Racine
• Seneca-Wauzeka-Steuben Blue Golds, Wauzeka
• Sheboygan Falls United Football League, Sheboygan Falls
• St Francis Xavier Youth Football, Cross Plains
• The Show 7v7 Football, Milwaukee