NOTICE OF IMMEDIATE JOB OPENING
POSITION: CHIEF ENGINEER
WSAW-TV, the Gray Television owned, CBS-affiliate in Wausau, Wisconsin, has an opening for a Chief Engineer, to serve as the manager of the Broadcast / IT Technical Operations of the station. The position includes Department Head status and the candidate will answer directly to the General Manger. The Chief Engineer interacts daily with local programming staff and will be responsible to follow all WSAW-TV and FCC standards and guidelines.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Regulatory compliance
• Accountable for the on air picture quality and performance
• Repair technical equipment to the component level
• Integration, maintenance and operation of new and existing equipment including towers, transmitters, microwave and satellite gear and tenant installations
• Manage all engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio support, post editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/taped events & programs.
• Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems and be able to step in an assist in emergency situations
• Oversight and maintenance of all station physical assets including buildings and grounds
• Oversight of all broadcast and IT systems
• Understanding and compliance of EAS standards and practices
• Setup remote broadcasts on location
• Assist in developing and implementing capital and operating budgets
• Hire, supervise and schedule Broadcast / IT technical staff
• Perform other tasks as assigned
Qualified Candidates will have:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related is preferred. Minimum Associates degree or equivalent industry training is accepted.
• Minimum 2-3 year experience in modern television engineering including broadcast and news automation systems, network/ IP based systems, studio and remote operations, and project design and management preferred
• Transmitter / RF experience desired
• Familiar with FCC rules and broadcast standards
• Familiar with network routing and IP addressing
• Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks based on station needs
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing
• Be available “on call” 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for emergency engineering problems
• Work in cooperation with all departments to achieve technical excellence and station profitability
Applicants should apply at https://gray.tv/careers (click “search jobs” in right column, then Wausau/by location or WSAW/by business). All applications must be received through this platform. You will also be able to upload your resume and cover letter. If necessary, email WSAW/WZAW-TV HR: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
WSAW/WZAW-TV is a drug-free work place. Pre-employment and random drug testing are a condition of employment. WSAW/WZAW-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify.