WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAW) -- If you're looking for a way to up your work-out game, then we have tips from a fitness professional that will make you want to hit the gym.
"Try something new, try a new type of exercise class, grab a workout buddy, keep a journal - whatever you've been thinking about trying, do it, because the more things you try, the more you'll learn about what works for you,"explained YMCA Fitness Professional Natalie Griffie.
Some common mistakes Griffie often sees are:
-Working out for the wrong reasons (your success is affected by your motivation - if you think you need to work out to punish yourself for eating, you're not going to be as successful as someone working out because they want to extend their quality of life)
-Setting too big a goal to start (it becomes overwhelming and people lose confidence. Small goals are best.)
Griffie's tips for exercising in the new year:
- Find an accountability partner - friend, spouse, trainer.
- Schedule your workouts. You're more likely to stick to your workout when you put it on your calendar or planner.
- Listen to something you enjoy, whether it's music, a podcast, or a book.
- Find exercise you enjoy. Working out doesn't have to mean running on the treadmill or lifting weights.
- Anything is better than nothing.