UPDATE: Man charged in wife's death takes his own life

Published: Mar. 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE: 03/20/16 - 7:19 PM))

A 62-year-old rural Wausau man charged with his wife's murder died Saturday night at a local hospital after attempting suicide in the Marathon County Jail, according to the Sheriff's Office.

In a Facebook post by the Sheriff's Office, the cause and specific circumstances remain under investigation.

Further details will not be made available until the conclusion of the investigation.

The Marathon County Sheriff's Office extends their sincere condolences to the Sturm family for the loss of Patricia and Mark.

Stay with NewsChannel 7 for updates as soon as they're made available.


((Original post: 03/19/16 - 02:04 PM))

A 62-year-old rural Wausau man charged with his wife's murder attempted suicide Saturday morning in the Marathon County Jail, according to a news release from the Sheriff's Office.

The news release states dispatch received an emergency call at 8:00 a.m. for an unresponsive male inmate, identified as Mark Sturm.

Marathon County Corrections staff provided medical care to Sturm until Wausau Fire/EMS arrived, according to Sheriff's officials.

The news release states Sturm remains in the hospital in critical condition.

The incident is under investigation. No other information is being released at this time..

On March 16, Sturm pleaded not guilty to murder charges. He was arrested on a probation hold the same day his wife was found dead of a reported suicide. He was charged with her death 10 days later.

Patricia Sturm, 62, was found dead of a gunshot wound in their bedroom on North Lane.

Investigators said Mark called 911 on Feb. 28 and told the dispatcher his wife had a seizure, had died, and needed an ambulance to come pick her up.

Sturm told the dispatcher he last saw his wife around noon; which would have been and hour and half prior to the call; and had just received a text message to the jist that she could not longer take it anymore.

According to court documents the text message verbatim read:

“Mark and faml y I have another very bad attack again. I'm shaking so bad. I can hardly do the s ican not talking this any.”

Court documents state Mark told investigators he had been splitting wood when he received the text message.

Mark told investigators he went inside to find his wife in bed without a pulse. According to court documents, a .22 caliber pistol was found in Patricia's left hand, however investigators determined Patricia was right-handed.

A detective that interviewed the couple's adult son told investigators he suspected his father may have been poisoning his mother causing her seizures. Medical records from the health care facility that treated Patricia Sturm have been subpoenaed.

According to court documents, Mark Sturm said he had been having an affair but it had ended. Detectives report that affair had not ended.

According to court documents, Mark and Patricia had been married for 42 years.