Baby rescued from Green Bay house fire dies

WBAY Photo
Published: Jun. 7, 2019 at 8:07 AM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Firefighters rescued a baby from a burning house on Green Bay's east side, but late Friday afternoon police announced the 11-month-old boy died.

At 7:25 a.m., emergency crews were called to 2519 Wisconsin Ave., just off East Shore Drive.

Firefighters received a report of a child trapped on the second floor of the home. Crews, met by heavy smoke, fire and intense heat, found the boy in a second floor bedroom. They got the baby to a window where firefighters had a ladder waiting. Lifesaving efforts began immediately and the baby was quickly transported to HSHS St. Vincent Hospital.

"As soon as crews arrived, they went around one side of the home and knocked the fire down. A second crew simultaneously went up to the second floor and rescued the child. The child was taken out of the bedroom window and transported via ambulance to a local hospital," says Assistant Chief Rob Goplin, Green Bay Metro Fire Department.

Neighbor Ted Pappas was gardening when he heard his neighbors calling for help. "Seen all that smoke come out, and then after that the flames, and the baby was still in there and that's what I was worried about."

He tried to help until rescue crews arrived.

"I went to the garage, called 911, got my ladder -- she said she wanted a ladder to get up there. Got my ladder, brought it over there and tried to put it up, and then the Fire came."

Six other people escaped the home.

"Everyone else was able to get out of the home themselves. After that when I arrived, there was one individual still making his way out and we were able to get the child out," Goplin said.

Six other people from the home were taken to a hospital to be evaluated for smoke inhalation. A 20-year-old woman remained hospitalized Friday afternoon. Police described her condition as stable.

"In a situation like this where you have that many people that need to be evaluated, and a really dynamic scene like this, it's evolving very, very quickly. There's a lot of tasks that have to be accomplished," Goplin said.

Pappas said, "It was traumatic. All the family was just sitting around on the grass, crying and hollering for the baby, 'That's my nephew up there.'"

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire. Goplin described the home as a single-family residence.

The Green Bay Metro Fire Department and state agencies are investigating the cause of the fire. They estimate the cost of damage at $75,000.

The American Red Cross is helping the residents.

Police and firefighters blocked off East Shore Drive near the fire scene.

Latest News

Latest News