Town of Ringle, Wis. (WSAW)- Firefighters spent hours cleaning up after a fire at the Marathon County Landfill in the Town of Ringle.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find a 100 ft. by 100 ft. area of the landfill on fire with flames reaching 20 ft high.
The Marathon County Director for Solid Waste says often times landfill fires are cause by batteries or even charcoal from grilling.
"Cell phone batteries, nine volt batteries; They may not not have enough charge in them to actually run your device, but they still have enough charge to create a spark," Solid Waste Director, Meleesa Johnson said.
"They are not banned from landfills but we do have recycling programs for them. We would prefer to see them recycled rather than thrown in the garbage," she said.
Firefighters do not expect to determine an exact cause of the fire.
Maine, Edgar, Kronenwettter, Ringle, Birnamwood, SAFER and Hatley fire departments all responded.