Delicious recipes for your Memorial Day celebrations
The Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers’ Association stopped by Sunrise 7 for a demonstration.
Published: May. 23, 2023 at 12:30 PM CDT
WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAW) - Not only is May National Beef Month, but it’s also National Burger Month. So why not combine America’s two favorites, beef and potatoes, with some delicious recipes for your Memorial Day celebrations? Sara Agena from the Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers’ Association stopped by Sunrise 7 for a demonstration.
Cheesy Potato Stuffed Burger with Cream Braised Cabbage
- 4 each 212 g Potato hamburger buns
- 1.5 lbs. (608g) Ground beef
- 4 tbsp (56g) Butter, unsalted, for basting
- 3 cloves (12g) Garlic, smashed, for basting
- 3 sprigs (1.5g) Thyme, fresh, for basting
- 3 sprigs (2g) Rosemary, fresh, for basting
- 4 slices (112g) Muenster cheese
- 1 cup (242g) Mashed potatoes, leftover
- 1/2 cup (56g) Processed cheese, small cubes
- 1/2 lb. (226g) Green Cabbage, sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup (236ml) Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp (12g) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (55g) Bacon, diced
- 1 tsp (5g) Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) Black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup (75g) Pickles
- Gather all ingredients and equipment needed.
- In a small pot, on medium heat, add vegetable oil, and diced bacon and sauté until cooked then add heavy cream, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, and sliced cabbage.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer cabbage for 15 minutes until soft.
- Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add mashed potatoes, and processed cheese cubes, and mix. Divide into 4 2 oz balls and set aside.
- Take the ground beef and divide it into eight 3 oz balls. Then take one 3oz patty, place the 2 oz cheesy mashed potato ball and slightly pat down and place another patty on top and pat down to seal patty.
- Repeat this until all patties are formed. Season patties with salt and black pepper.
- In a frying pan or skillet, on medium-high heat, add butter, place patty, and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip the patty, add butter, garlic, cloves, thyme, rosemary, and spoon melted infused butter on top of the patty until cooked.
- In a small pan, add some butter or olive oil and toast the inside of the potato bun.
- To assemble, on the bottom side of the potato bun, place braised cabbage, cheesy mashed potato stuffed burger, and muenster cheese slice, top of with the top part of the potato bun.
- Serve with fries or chips and pickles.
Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- 6 medium Russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp dill pickle brine
- 2 Tbsp dill pickle relish
- 1/2 cup Dill pickles chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dried dill or 1 Tbsp fresh
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh dill for garnish
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until fork tender. 5-7 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer warm potatoes to a bowl. Add in pickle brine, chopped pickles and relish. Use a potato masher to mash slightly. There should be some creamed potatoes and some chunks of potatoes.
- Add in eggs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over potatoes and mix until well combined. Cover and let chill for at least one hour. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with fresh dill and more chopped pickles if desired.
Copyright 2023 WSAW. All rights reserved.