Bond set at $2M for suspect in 1992 Waupaca County double homicide

Tony Haase
Tony Haase(Waupaca County Sheriff's Department)
Published: Aug. 12, 2022 at 10:50 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WAUPACA, Wis. (WSAW/WLUK) - Bond has been set at $2 million cash for the 51-year-old Weyauwega man charged with 1992 murders of a Waupaca County couple.

WLUK-TV reports Tony Haase was arrested for the murders Tanna Togstad and Timothy Mumbrue on Thursday. Togstad, 23, and her boyfriend, Mumbrue, 35, were found stabbed to death in their Royalton farmhouse. Togstad died of one stab wound to the chest, while Mumbrue was stabbed multiple times, according to the autopsy report cited in the criminal complaint.

Police identified Haase as a suspect, and a DNA sample was taken from him during a traffic stop last month. Test results showed him to be a “major male contributor” to the fluids recovered from Togstad’s body, the complaint states.

WLUK reports:

“Eventually, Haase disclosed to investigators that his father had been killed in a snowmobile accident when he was 5 or 8 years old. [Investigators discovered Haase’s father died on 12/31/1977 when Haase was 7 years old.] Haase described that his father was operating a snowmobile in a group of three that was racing. The second snowmobile hit his father’s and his father was killed. The third snowmobile then ran over the driver of the second. He described it as a horrible accident. One of the other snowmobile drivers was Tanna Togstad’s father.

Haase described that on the evening of March 20, 1992 he became very drunk as he went from one bar to another by himself. For some reason he started to think about the accident that killed his father. Those thoughts led to him going to the home of Tanna Togstad. Haase could not articulate why he went there but insisted it was not to hurt anyone. He described himself as being in a drunken stupor that night. Haase describes getting into a “scuffle” with Tim Mumbrue. He could not remember if he had brought a knife or if the knife was at the house. During the “scuffle” he and Tim were wrestling while standing up, and he moved his arm in a stabbing motion toward Mumbrue’s chest. He described Mumbrue falling to the floor near the foot of the bed.

Haase remembered Togstad yelling, “what the f---,” and that is when he punched her in the face. It is believed he would have knocked her out at this time. At some point Togstad started to stir and that is when he stabbed her in the chest.

When asked why he didn’t tell investigators right away Haase replied, “I didn’t want it to sound like I had it planned.” Haase told investigators he did not know why he did it. At this point Haase told investigators when he saw the news report he thought “Holy f---, what did I do,” the complaint states.

A judge has given Haase until Aug. 16 to obtain an atttorney.

Copyright 2022 WSAW. All rights reserved.