Man convicted of stealing squad car gets 5 years prison

Published: Dec. 6, 2021 at 9:05 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROTHSCHILD, Wis. (WSAW) - The 29-year-old man convicted of a crime spree that included the theft of a Rothschild Police Department squad car will spend 5 years in prison, followed by 5 years of extended supervision.

Jonathon Bishop’s plea deal consolidated three criminal cases. Bishop pleaded no contest to four counts. His other charges were dismissed but still considered during his sentencing.

During the early morning hours of April 25, Rothschild Police responded to a home on the 600-block of Lawrence Avenue for a report of a person breaking into a truck.

When officers arrived, they found a car that had been reported stolen from Wausau earlier in the day. The car was running, parked on the sidewalk and the driver’s door was open. Officers also noticed a garage door of a nearby home was open. Police went to the home. The people living there told police they didn’t think anyone was inside, but their bathroom door was shut and they normally left it open.

The couple was escorted out of the home and police went inside to check for the suspect. He was ordered to come out of the bathroom. He did so with his hands up and was arrested and placed in a squad. While police were securing the scene and interviewing witnesses, the Rothschild Police Department squad car was spotted traveling eastbound on Lawrence Avenue toward Arnold Street. Dash camera video shows the incident.

Following the incident, Rothschild Police Chief Jeremy Hunt said in a statement Bishop was cuffed when he crawled through a 1-foot by 1-foot window to the front seat.

Marathon County deputies began to pursue the vehicle. Deputies lost the vehicle for a brief amount of time and located it in the backyard of a home on Southridge Drive. Police said when it was found, Bishop was not inside.

A search was conducted using K-9s. He was found in the attic of a home on Louis Street and was arrested.

Bishop was also ordered to pay $4,350 in restitution.

Copyright 2021 WSAW. All rights reserved.