Advertisement

Wisconsin Rapids man charged with 2000 sex-assault at Fox River Mall pleads not guilty

John Carter booking photo
John Carter booking photo(Outagamie County Jail)
Updated: Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

APPLETON, Wis. (WSAW) - A 51-year-old man from Wisconsin Rapids charged in a 20-year-old kidnapping case has pleaded not guilty.

John Carter was linked to the 2000 crime through DNA evidence discovered in another case. He’s charged in Outagamie County with first-degree sexual assault and kidnapping.

According to WBAY-TV, the arrest stems from an incident that happened on Feb. 12, 2000, which officials said was a kidnapping and sexual assault that happened near the Fox River Mall. Police said the suspect watched the victim, a 16-year-old girl, while she was working at Younkers. Investigators said the man waited for her to leave the store at the end of her shift, and as she walked to her vehicle, he confronted her.

Investigators said the victim left the building at about 8:40 p.m., and noticed a man walk past the front of her car while she leaned in to get her ice scraper. The complaint says she didn’t know the man, but recognized him as someone who had approached her in the store earlier that day to ask about clothing and what time the store closed.

That’s when police say the man displayed a handgun, and told the girl to get into her vehicle and move to the passenger seat. Officials say the man then entered her vehicle and drove it to a nearby location and sexually assaulted her.

Carter remains in the Outagamie County Jail on $1 million cash bond. A clerical court appearance has been scheduled for Aug. 18.

Copyright 2021 WSAW. All rights reserved.