Attempted homicide suspect arrested in Schofield following pursuit

Published: Sep. 16, 2020 at 12:27 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SCHOFIELD, Wis. (WSAW) - The Marathon County Sheriff’s Office has released more details about a pursuit and large police presence Wednesday morning.

Sheriff Scott Parks said his department, as part of the Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force, and US Marshals Office, had been doing intelligence investigation for weeks regarding 25-year-old Isaiah Evans, a wanted fugitive from Beloit.

Evans was wanted for attempted first-degree intentional homicide, multiple counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety, and felon in possession of firearms in connection to a shooting incident May 16. Beloit police said a 37-year-old man was shot, but survived. They had put out a public notice after the shooting saying Evans should be considered armed and dangerous.

Sheriff Parks said investigators knew Evans would be at a Weston hotel Wednesday. Once Evans noticed the police, he and a woman later identified as Abby Ann Jackson, 31, also from Beloit, led police on a high-speed chase. The Marathon County Sheriff’s Office and Fugitive Task Force were assisted by the Everest Metro Police Department, Wisconsin State Patrol, Rothschild Police Department, and Wausau Police Department in the pursuit.

Police say Evans and Jackson were arrested.

According to Chief Clay Schulz with the Everest Metro Police Department, the chase was brief and spanned the Rothschild and Schofield areas, ending on the 200 block of Charles St. in Rothschild. The suspects then ran and were arrested near the Weston Aquatic Center.

Schools in the D.C. Everest School District were on lockdown for a short time. The district has sent the following statement to parents of students at Rothschild Elementary and the DC Everest Junoir High:

“At approximately 11:15 a.m. we were informed by local law enforcement officials that our school should enact safety procedures due to a community incident. Students were secured within the school and all external entrances/exits to the building were locked. At approximately 11:30 a.m., law enforcement officials notified us the incident was resolved. At that time, normal school day activities resumed. If you have any questions, please reach out to your building principal.”

John Marshall Elementary School in Wausau was also on a soft lockdown because of the incident. The following email was sent to parents:

Late Wednesday morning there was a situation in Schofield involving armed suspects. As a precaution, John Marshall Elementary School was placed on a soft lockdown for a short period of time. Other schools within the District were on alert and ready to go into lockdown if necessary. The situation has been cleared and the suspects are in custody. As a result, the soft lockdown at John Marshall has been lifted.”

Evans and Jackson are both in custody in the Marathon County Jail. Sheriff Parks said charges likely will not be recommended for Evans in Marathon County, but Jackson could face charges locally as the driver. He said they plan to send Evans back to Rock County where he has the pending attempted homicide case.

Copyright 2020 WSAW. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News