WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin State Fair officials have announced new security plans to try to prevent a repeat of the violence that marred opening night last year.
Last Aug. 4, officers arrested 24 people for disorderly conduct after several fights broke out near the midway area. When police closed the midway area early, the violence spilled onto the streets of West Allis.
Officials told reporters Wednesday they're retaining a requirement imposed the day after the clashes that anyone under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult parent or guardian after 5 p.m. Bags will also be checked at the gates. And 11 new security cameras will be installed.
State Fair Park CEO Rick Frenette says they're "not going to let a few individuals ruin the experience of 911,000 people."
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.