FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) -- County health officials around Lake Winnebago are urging people to be cautious after blue-green algae blooms were found on the lake.
Officials say hot, humid weather provides ideal conditions for blue-green algae. And Lake Winnebago -- with its high level of nutrients -- is a perfect incubator for blue-green algae blooms.
The algae can produce a harmful toxin when ingested. Signs of illness range from eye, ear and skin irritation, to vomiting and diarrhea.
Jeff Phillips, environmental health supervisor for Winnebago County, says the most serious, and sometimes fatal cases, tend not to be in humans. Phillips says that dogs end up getting sick from it.
Health officials say small children are also more susceptible, since they're more likely to transfer things from their hands to their mouths.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.