WSAW NewsChannel 7  | Central WI, Wausau, Rhinelander  |  News, Weather, Sports

Homeowner Safe but Pet Needs Medical Attention After Fire

By: Ali Ingersoll Email
By: Ali Ingersoll Email

A fire broke out Wednesday around 3a.m. on South 7th Street in Wausau.

The Wausau Fire Department responded to the blaze. They say the homeowner made it out safely but his cat needed medical attention after inhaling smoke. Firefighters on scene had to treat the pet with oxygen. Officials say the cat is okay.

According to responding firefighters, the fire began after the homeowner accidentally turned on his stove top burners instead of the oven which caused the items on top of the stove and the bin of recyclables next to it to ignite.

Officials say the damage is mostly limited to smoke and heat.

Firefighters credit working smoke detectors for alerting the homeowner about the kitchen fire and getting him out of the house without injury.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@wsaw.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.

powered by Disqus