The Canadian man who brought an alleged Shawano hit list to the FBI's attention wants his side of the story known. Today, someone is circulating a fax calling the man a ‘hit man’ and a terrorist.
The fax NewsChannel 7 received Monday afternoon claims the group police say is behind the list, the Samanta Roy Institute of Science and Technology, “is believed to be offering a $1 million reward to anyone who brings him to justice in the United States". Please note, it says “is believed to be offering a reward", and it's not been confirmed whether SIST was aware of this fax.
This document arrived without a cover letter or any information about its source. It identifies the FBI’s informant, including his home and business addresses, and phone numbers.
So far, NewsChannel 7 has been unable to reach SIST’s attorney, Alan Eisenberg for comment on this fax, or whether SIST is, indeed, offering any reward. NewsChannel 7 has turned that document over to the FBI.
After news of the list and a federal investigation broke last week, NewsChannel 7 received a call from that FBI informant. He also received a copy of that fax today, which he believes puts a price tag on his head.
In the interest of protecting him, his family, and the ongoing FBI investigation, we are not releasing his name at this time or any specifics about his business. SIST has identified him during news conferences and in a written statement, and the informant tells NewsChannel 7 his phone has been ringing off the hook ever since - and now he wants us to let the public know his side of the story.
He tells NewsChannel 7 he made authorities aware of his dealings with SIST from the beginning. He says although he did receive the list and a large sum of money, he never intended to kill or harm anyone. He says he simply saw this as an opportunity to get the money he claims SIST owed him from a past business venture. According to this informant, SIST wired tens of thousands of dollars to him. He says he then received the list and he forwarded it to police. He says he continues to cooperate with investigators.
In a 3-page document given to NewsChannel 7 reporter Mikel Lauber by Naomi Isaacson and handed out by SIST members to residents on the streets of Shawano, SIST acknowledges this individual received $175,000 from them. But they claim it was part of a deal to loan SIST $10 million in return.
In the documents, SIST says this individual was hired by Shawano officials to rob them and claims the "hit list" was created by the city to divert the media's attention. During a news conference Friday, the Shawano Police Chief called SIST's claims ludicrous.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.