We all know that we should be eating more salad, but who would want to when you could eat a cheeseburger and fries. What many of us don't realize is that we are making our salads wrong - that's why they are not tasty.
Victoria Tesch from Wausau Health & Fitness has some great tips to take your salad from bland to fab!
- Build your salad "upside" down. Start by putting your meat and veggies in the bottom of your bowl and then layer your lettuce on top. Tesch says the veggies have more nutritional value than the lettuce, so feel free to load up on the colorful goodness.
- When picking lettuce, Tesch says to stay away from iceberg lettuce. Choose others that are dark green - like romaine & spinach.
- Don't be afraid to get creative with your veggies. She recommends eating a rainbow of color.
- If you don't eat a lot of meat, try adding things like chick peas for added protein. "Remember - Protein is what keeps us feeling full and energized throughout the day."
- It's ok to add salad dressing, just don't go overboard. Tesch says we need some fat in our diets to help absorb the nutrients from the veggies. She recommends things like balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and even light ranch.
Designed by Gray Digital Media