It's a medical nightmare that's making headlines more frequently these days- flesh eating bacteria.
A young man in western Wisconsin knows just how devastating the condition can be.
Chase Seibel was spending a hot July day swimming with friends. The 21-year-old says later that day he got a cut on his arm. He never expected what would happen next.
"It felt like I broke my arm, that's what the main pain was," Seibel said. “My arm just blew up, didn't look like a normal arm."
Doctors determined that his extreme pain and nausea were caused by Necrotizing Fascitis, more commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria
Over the next 12 days following the diagnosis, Seibel would undergo six surgeries to stop the spread of the infection. He says he no longer has any feeling left in his arm.
It's important to note that the disease does not actually eat your flesh, but instead it causes rapid destruction of tissue like the skin.
According to WEAU-TV, a benefit to help offset the cost of medical procedures will be held Saturday from 5-8 at the Pickle in Eau Claire.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.