Lit Cigarette to Blame for Dec. 5 Fatal Fire

By: WSAW Staff
By: WSAW Staff

A lit cigarette is believed to have caused a fatal fire in Rhinelander last month.

On Dec. 5 crews were dispatched to the 200 of Maple Street for the report of structure fire and one person still inside.

Robert Fischer, 83, became trapped in the home and died at the scene. His wife, Esther was able to get out and was transported to the hospital. She has since been released.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the discussion rules.

powered by Disqus