A Weston neighborhood is rallying around a family who lost everything after their home burned to the ground earlier this month.
Oct. 9 reports said the fire started after a child was playing with a lighter and candle, and luckily the family got out alive.
But just about everything inside the house was counted as a loss, that is until a couple of days ago.
Something other than community support rose from the ashes.
The eerie glow of flames engulfed the Koss home in Weston on Oct. 9.
"As you see," Former Weston Fire Department Chief Steve Meilhan said on the night of the fire, "there's a major collapse. It's probably due to the lightweight construction of the newer homes."
The Koss family now builds from scratch.
Neighbors like Wendy Kizewski support.
"They need the help," Kizewski said.
However, one Koss family member hasn't left since the night of the fire.
About 13 days later, from a fire that left a devastating outcome for the Koss family, the family tried to re-build a new life, but there is still a part of their old life that's still lives.
"Their dog Tyson got out with them, and they thought the cat was inside," Kizewski said. "The cat was missing for two weeks. I found the cat meowing in their garage that had been burned. The cats has been living in the garage for two weeks."
Fritz sat in the ashes hoping for his family to come back.
"My guess was he (Fritz) was in the fire," Kizewski said. "That was my guess, but here he was meowing."
Trying to find the fuzzy face a new home is only one of the many things the family needs as they temporarily live at a hotel in town.
"I look around my house every day and think that for the, they lost this: whatever I'm looking at," Kizewski said. "They've lost everything that I have in my house."
Kizewski said she already has a cat, and she tried to take care of Fritz while they try to find him a home. You can help the family rebuild by donating.
Online: GiveForward.com, search Koss Family Fire (http://gfwd.at/19pzhkJ)
Monetary donations can be mailed to US Bank 5802 Camp Phillips Rd, Weston, WI 54476. Checks should be made out to Koss Family Fire.
Schwan's is doing a fundraiser for the family. Order using the Campaign ID: 3875 fundraiser ID: 7933
Clothing, shoes, toys, household items, electronics and other wish list items will be collected too.
For more information, visit the family Facebook Page: Koss Familyfire
"We want to help them out," Kizewski said.
The Koss family needs support, and Fritz needs a new family.
A tragic moment may have destroyed a home but it didn't destroy a family, even if one member hopefully gets a new one.
Jessica, Brett and their three children (Allison, age 10, Brandon, age 7, and Dylan, age 5) lived on Isaiah Street for eight years.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.