WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senior Army officials are warning they may have to cut as many as 100,000 more soldiers over the next decade unless the automatic spending reductions forcing the military services to slash their budgets are stopped.
Army Secretary John McHugh tells a Senate committee Tuesday the losses would undermine the service's ability to be prepared for wartime missions. He says the Army is already planning to trim its ranks by 80,000 active duty troops due to previously planned budget reductions approved by Congress in 2011.
But if the automatic cuts, known as sequestration, continue into future years, thousands more soldiers, including reservists, will have to be let go due to a lack of money, McHugh says.
The Army's share of the automatic cuts over the next six month is $7.6 billion.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.