Weston Man Loses House to Fire

Terry Jakel woke up to the sound of his alarm, and the smell of smoke.

A fire in his basement had filled the house with smoke.

He crawled down the stairs and woke his 59-year-old mother, and led her outside. When she couldn't follow him, he dragged her to safety. She was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

The fire spread quickly through the house and firefighters needed to knock down the walls to put out the flames.

Later in the day, Terry and his family sifted through the rubble, looking for anything that was spared by the flames and the water.