About 200 students now know what to do in case of a fire in their home.
Third graders from seven elementary schools headed over to the Antigo Fire Department Tuesday for a life-saving lesson.
It's National Fire Prevention Week, a yearly occurrence that allows fire departments to teach and demonstrate vital information to youngsters.
"So this is our opportunity to bring them to our house and show them what we do here and spread one big lesson," Antigo Firefighter and EMT John Krueger said.
The highlight was a live demonstration of a Christmas tree catching fire. It took just seconds for the fire to produce dense, deadly smoke.
"It's easy to bring the tree into the house put some water in the bottom of it, put your decorations on it and then life happens, you get busy and you forget to water it again," Krueger said.
Students were impressed with the fire and the firefighters' ability to quickly extinguish it.
While the demonstration is something to see, Krueger hopes students take away the knowledge of fire prevention.
"I sure hope so, that's the main reason we do this."
Each year fire prevention week has a theme. This year's theme was kitchen safety where kids learned how to put out a grease fire.
They also learned how to use a fire extinguisher, toured the fire department, and walked through the Kids' Safety House.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.