Deadline Reminders for Managed Haying and Grazing on CRP Acreage

By: USDA Press Release
By: USDA Press Release

Landowners with written approval to hay or graze any Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage are reminded that haying must be completed by September 15, 2011 and grazing livestock must be removed no later than September 30, 2011.

"In order to hay or graze CRP acreage, participants must obtain a modified conservation plan to include haying or grazing requirements as determined by the Natural Resources Conservation Service," said Matthew Peplinski, Marathon County Farm Service Agency (FSA) executive director. "Haying and grazing plans must be site specific and reflect local wildlife concerns and needs."

Authorization of CRP managed haying and grazing can only be on certain cover practices such as grass or legume cover or native grasses. It is not authorized where trees, windbreaks, shrubs, wildlife habitat or food plots were planted. Other restrictions include grass waterways, filter strips, riparian buffers and established or restored wetlands. Managed haying cannot be authorized until after the cover is fully established. CRP acreage may only be authorized for haying or grazing every three years.

Haying or grazing privileges may be rented or leased. However the participant must inform Marathon County FSA by identifying the renter’s name and acreage to be hayed or grazed. The participant may contact the Marathon County FSA office at 715-848-2330. The same acreage cannot be hayed and grazed. The participant is also responsible for re-establishing any failed cover at their own expense.

CRP participants who take advantage of this provision must report the number of acres actually hayed or grazed no later than September 30, 2011 and reports are subject to spot check by USDA. Participants must also report tonnage harvested or the number of livestock grazed by September 30, 2011.

A 25 percent payment reduction, which will be taken from the participant’s annual rental payment, applies to the CRP acreage that is hayed or grazed.

Contact Marathon County FSA office at 715-848-2330 for more information regarding the potential haying or grazing of CRP acreage.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the discussion rules.

powered by Disqus
WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126796868 -
Gray Television, Inc.