2011 ELAP Loss Requirements Reminder

By: USDA Press Release
By: USDA Press Release

Eligible producers who lost livestock, honeybees, farm-raised
fish, or harvested and purchased feed due to adverse weather before October 1, 2011, can sign up for the USDA Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) by filing a notice of loss by the earlier of 30 days of the loss occurring or before October 31, 2011. Livestock losses due to wolf depredation and honeybee losses due to colony collapse disorder (CCD) are also eligible.

Producers with livestock, honeybee, or farm-raised fish losses that are not covered by the Livestock Indemnity Program, Livestock Feed Program, or the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Program may be eligible for ELAP.

Eligibility provisions for ELAP also include honeybee and farm-raised fish producers, who did not replace their losses from natural disaster, to be eligible for ELAP payments based on the fair market value of the losses. In addition, documentation requirements of losses for honeybee producers who suffered losses due to CCD, allow documentation by an independent third party for losses for 2011.

ELAP applicants are eligible for:
• payments based on 60 percent of the average fair market value, as determined by FSA, of:
o lost farm-raised bait or game fish
o honeybees in excess of normal honeybee mortality, as established by FSA
o purchased or harvested feed lost.

The payment rates, established by FSA, for 2011 honeybee colonies and hives are based on the average fair market values of honeybee colonies and/or hives. FSA has established the following average fair market values for 2011 honeybee losses:
• $70 per honeybee colony
• $200 per honeybee hive.

Feed loss payments are 60 percent of the cost of purchased or harvested feed stuff and grazing losses are 60 percent of value, as determined by FSA.

Payments may be factored if national ELAP fund requests exceed $50 million for a calendar year.

To qualify for the Emergency Livestock Assistance Program, producers must meet the risk management purchase requirement by either obtaining a policy or plan of insurance, under the Federal Crop Insurance Act or NAP coverage. Please check with the Marathon County Farm Service Agency or FSA’s website on the coverage requirements for specific programs. Producers considered socially disadvantaged, a beginning farmer or rancher, or a limited resource farmer may be eligible for these disaster programs without a policy or plan of insurance or NAP coverage.

Additional information on ELAP is available by calling the Marathon County FSA office at 715-848-2330 or on the internet at www.fsa.usda.gov.

WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127956858 - wsaw.com/a?a=127956858
Gray Television, Inc.