MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Health officials say a 24-year-old University of Wisconsin-Madison student died of bacterial meningitis.
The university and the Dane County Coronor's office believe he had a form of meningitis known as meningococcal disease, a rare and serious bacterial infection that can quickly cause grave illness or death.
Officials did not release the student's name, but friends identified him to the State Journal as Thomas Kuehn, who was on the spirit squad and wanted to go to medical school.
Dr. Sarah Van Orman, executive director of University Health Services, says there is no public health risk. The bacteria is spread through intimate and direct contact and does not persist on surfaces.
The State Journal reports there were six cases of meningitis in Dane County in 2010 and two deaths.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.