Over-Stoked Fire Sparks Stevens Point Blaze

An over-stoked fireplace sparked a fire at one Stevens Point home Thursday morning but authorities say the damages could have been a lot worse.

When units responded to the home on N. Brilowski road, the fire had spread from an island fireplace to a wall when a wooden support overheated. No injuries were reported but Hull Fire Chief Mark Kluck says similar fires are an all-too-common occurrence in the winter.

"When it's this cold people stoke the wood burners or their fireplaces to heat their homes," Kluck said. "Extended heat like that will build up on studs or 2x4s and could cause degradation and a fire to start."

Chief Kluck says the fire had been stoked for the past five days and may have been a full-blown structure fire if someone wasn't at home at the time.

He encourages homeowners to feel the walls near fireplaces for unusual amounts of heat.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@wsaw.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.

powered by Disqus
WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188258981 - wsaw.com/a?a=188258981
Gray Television, Inc.