WSAW NewsChannel 7  | Central WI, Wausau, Rhinelander  |  News, Weather, Sports

New State Law Requires Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Homes by February

By: Ben Zblewski Email
By: Ben Zblewski Email

A new state law could protect you from a deadly poison.

Starting February first all one and two family homes are required to have a Carbon Monoxide detector on every floor, except the garage and attic.

The gas is odorless, tasteless, and colorless, and can cause serious health problems if it's inhaled.

"Symptoms for CO poisoning are similar to the flu. Headache, nausea, light-headed, dizzy. Those are mild cases," said Deputy Fire Chief Kris Grod of the Weston Fire Department.

He says it can even cause death if untreated, which can come on quickly in young children and the elderly.

Fire crews have recommended carbon monoxide detectors for years.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@wsaw.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.

powered by Disqus
WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113046379