Most Serious Charges Dismissed for 1 of 4 Forest Co. Beating Suspects

By: WSAW Staff Email
By: WSAW Staff Email

The most serious charges for one of four people arrested after a man was found left for dead in a wooded area in Forest County have been dismissed.

Samantha McClellan, 19, was initially charged with attempted 1st degree intentional homicide, false imprisonment, two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a child, kidnapping, and aggravated battery. Raymond Jones, 45; April Jones, 38, Justin Bey, 21; were also charged with the same counts. Raymond Jones is also charged with strangulation.

Thursday, the charges of attempted homicide, kidnapping, and false imprisonment were dismissed for McClellan.

According to the criminal complaint, two people were riding ATVs northeast of Crandon near Bug Lake on March 12 when they thought they saw a suitcase on the trail. As they got closer they saw a man laying on the trail covered in blood. The men told investigators they thought the man was dead, but as they checked on him he started speaking.

The men loaded the man, age 40, on the back of their ATV and transported him to a nearby business to call 911.

According to medical personal at a Marshfield hospital, the man suffered multiple fractures to his head and face, a broken jaw, and two broken ribs. They also said the man was suffering serious frost bite all over his body.

According to court documents, the alleged victim has been staying with the Joneses for three weeks at their Wabeno home. The man told investigators he had hit a young child on the butt, and that's why he was beat up.

The criminal complaint states the man was beaten periodically for two days straight. Some the alleged abuse including the man being urinated on and having feces wiped on his head.

Investigators say while in custody following the incident, Samantha McClellan had made a comment that they had tied the man up and she and her boyfriend, Justin Bey, were kicking him. McClellan reportedly became upset hearing the news that the alleged victim was still alive.

According to the criminal complaint, Raymond Jones commented on the man's condition and said it was “the worst he had ever seen anyone beat”.

Prosecutors say the defendants admitted to wanting to kill the man in various forms, and had left him in the woods because they assumed wolves would attack him due to the amount of blood he had lost.

According to WLUK-TV, the alleged victim was expected to have a leg and the other foot amputated. An update on his condition was not available.

McClellan will return to court October 3.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the discussion rules.

powered by Disqus
WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 269566921 -
Gray Television, Inc.