A Madison area mother is behind a new billboard to be displayed next month in Dane County warning of the danger of improperly disposed medication.
Last November, Melissa Seamonson of Deerfield went into her 2-year-old son's bedroom to wake him up, but found him unresponsive.
It was discovered her son, Blake died after swallowing a Fentanyl patch, which is said to be 100 times more powerful that morphine.
Blake is believed to have come into contact with the patch when he was visiting his great grandmother at a nursing home. His death sparked a state investigation into that facility. It found that the nursing home's method of just throwing away the patches was dangerous to the environment, and people like Blake.
Now, Melissa says she's using her experience to raise awareness.
"His death wont be in vain, I wont give up," she said. "I don't want another family to have to feel what we feel."
Melissa has raised funds over the past year to put the billboard. The sign will go up on October 29th, and will be up until the end of November.
Enter Zip Code for Custom Weather