MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The U.S. Justice Department plans to review the death of a 16-year-old, but says his family has not provided sufficient evidence so far of a civil rights violation.
U.S. Attorney James Santelle said in a statement Saturday that his office will look into Corey Stingley's death, but he said his office is not committing itself to or planning for any prosecution.
Milwaukee District Attorney John Chisholm has already decided not to charge three white men in the black teenager's death. Stingley died of a lack of oxygen December 29th, 2012, two weeks after three customers restrained him at a West Allis convenience store where he had been suspected of shoplifting.
Chisholm's decision not to prosecute them sparked a rally outside his office Friday
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.