UPDATE: No Jail Time for Marshfield Man Convicted of Killing Girlfriend

By: WSAW Staff Email
By: WSAW Staff Email

UPDATE: Mon 10:32 AM, Oct. 21, 2013

A 32-year-old Marshfield man was sentenced to one year and seven months in prison after pleading no contest to felony murder during a plea deal with prosecutors. However, Eric Mayer received credit for 585 days already spent in jail, canceling any time he would have spent in jail.

The deal comes after the 2009 murder conviction and sentencing for Mayer was overturned after a judge ruled he had ineffective counsel during his first trial.

Mayer's attorney at the time was undergoing cancer treatment and has since died.

Mayer was also sentenced to spend six years and five months on extended supervision.

UPDATE: Fri 10:33 AM, Oct. 18, 2013

Online court records show a plea agreement has been reached in a 2009 murder case.

In 2009, Eric Mayer, 32, was charged with the death of his girlfriend, Cynthia Tyler after he told investigators she kicked him in the mouth and then he "smacked" her in the face, knocking her unconscious. Tyler later died of a ruptured artery in her brain.

Mayer said when she wouldn't wake up, he called 911.

In March 2010, Mayer reached a plea deal with prosecutors and pleaded no contest to a charge of felony murder. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Mayer appealed the conviction and sentencing saying he had ineffective counsel. The court of appeals agreed and a new trial was granted. A Marathon County Courthouse employee tells NewsChannel 7, Mayer's attorney at the time had been undergoing treatment for cancer and has since died.

Mayer's trial was scheduled to begin Monday, however, courts now show it has been changed to a plea and sentencing hearing.

Mayer's attorney could not be reached for comment.

ORIGINAL STORY: 2:06 PM, Jan 25, 2013

A 32-year-old Marshfield man accused of fatally beating his girlfriend during an argument will be retried after it was ruled he had ineffective counsel during his first trial.

Eric Mayer is charged with the March 2009 death of Cynthia Tyler.

The criminal complaint says Mayer told investigators Tyler, 43, kicked him in the mouth and then he "smacked" her in the face, knocking her unconscious, after they got into an argument while driving home from a fish fry.

Mayer said when she wouldn't wake up, he called 911.
Mayer's trial is expected to begin in April.

He is free on a $50,000 cash bond.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@wsaw.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.

powered by Disqus
WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188394571 - wsaw.com/a?a=188394571
Gray Television, Inc.