A fire broke out Wednesday around 3a.m. on South 7th Street in Wausau.
The Wausau Fire Department responded to the blaze. They say the homeowner made it out safely but his cat needed medical attention after inhaling smoke. Firefighters on scene had to treat the pet with oxygen. Officials say the cat is okay.
According to responding firefighters, the fire began after the homeowner accidentally turned on his stove top burners instead of the oven which caused the items on top of the stove and the bin of recyclables next to it to ignite.
Officials say the damage is mostly limited to smoke and heat.
Firefighters credit working smoke detectors for alerting the homeowner about the kitchen fire and getting him out of the house without injury.
Enter Zip Code for Custom Weather