The debate over how to pay for a $627,000 drainage improvement project continues in the Village of Kronenwetter.
At Tuesday's village board meeting , residents spoke out against a proposed special assessment that could be imposed on select homeowners in the community to help pay for the project.
Two weeks ago the board voted down a proposal for the special assessment, however now the issue appears to be back on the table.
Tonight the board reached an agreement that the village will cover 55% of the project costs, while leaving the remaining 45% up to residents in the proposed special assessment area.
Resident Elizabeth Messner is outraged that she could have to pay a large sum of money to correct a problem that does not affect her.
"I am to the tune of paying almost $5,000. I do not have drop one of water in my basement." Messner says.
Another public hearing must be held before a final decision on the assessment is reached. A date has not yet been set for that meeting.
Enter Zip Code for Custom Weather