Detectors Key in Reducing Carbon Monoxide Deaths

Winter is a time when fire departments across the nation see an increase in carbon monoxide poisoning. From problems with space heaters to snow-blocked exhaust pipes, the risk rises as temperatures go down.

The CDC says that each year more than 500 people die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. However, their is a highly effective way to reduce the risk when it comes to this complex problem.

"The easiest way for people to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning or even some of the issues with carbon monoxide is actually to have a detector." says Lt. Jodi Baganz of the Stevens Point Fire Department.

Getting people to buy carbon monoxide detectors is only half the battle. Getting people to take the warning beeps the detectors give off seriously is another major factor that could mean the difference between life and death.

Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased for less than $20. State law requires all single-family homes to be equipped with detectors.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to comments@wsaw.com.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.

powered by Disqus
WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239519421 - wsaw.com/a?a=239519421