A family in Schofield is returning to a damaged home after fire burnt part of their basement Sunday afternoon.
Schofield Fire and Rescue was dispatched around noon on Depot Street between Ross Avenue and Schofield Avenue. Firefighters said no one was home at the time. The damage was discovered when extended family members stopped in to check on the house. They found soot covering the floor and called the fire department.
Firefighters said the fire put itself out before they were on scene.
"They're very lucky. I think what saved the home is that they did have the bedroom closed where the fire started. I believe it just contained everything, all of the heat," said Schofield Fire and Rescue Lt. Adam Grahn.
He said that bedroom sustained most of the damage and is considered a total loss. He said the family will likely be displaced for a short time upon returning home.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide detailed information.
All comments must adhere to the WSAW.com discussion rules.