Tax Tips

By: Justin Ware
By: Justin Ware

Paying your taxes on time is important, but what if you can't afford to?

A local tax expert says file them anyway.

H & R Block tax consultant Bob Smith says the penalties are much less if you file your taxes on time and work out how to pay them later.

Smith advises not to file for an extension because that doesn't delay your payment date.

"Extensions are not really meant for those who owe, giving them more time. It's really for those who can't get their paperwork together and file their return on time," said Smith.

If you do have to pay in, the best approach is to file your taxes and then figure out a new budget so you can afford the pay-in amount.

WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 673431 -
Gray Television, Inc.