Explosions in Downtown Wausau

By: Bill Martens
By: Bill Martens

Right around two, a manhole cover on the 200 block of Jefferson Street blew right off. The Wausau Fire Department says at least two of the four electrical leads that run under the street shorted out.

They say the coating on the cables melted, and there could've been sewer gas nearby. The heat generated caused the explosions that could be heard in the Plaza Mall.

"We did evacuate this entire block here from Data Wave through the walking mall," says Fire Chief Gary Buchberger.

Everything's being fixed, but the fire department advises you to stay away from the 200 block of Jefferson the rest of the night.


WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 563492 - wsaw.com/a?a=563492