Imagine being x-rayed when all of a sudden, you hear a strange popping sound, and then smoke fills the room. It's probably not something you want to experience, but it happened today in the radiology center at Wausau Hospital.
It all started around 2:45. Patients and hospital staff were evacuated while the flames and smoke were being forced out. The fire itself wasn't too serious, but when you have a room with a lot of expensive equipment and chemicals, you can't take any chances.
"It was not a big fire, and it was contained, but again, when you have wires burning and toxic fumes, that's when you have a concern and that's what we had," says hospital safety officer John Black. "It could've gotten worse real quick."
"The hospital staff responded excellently, put the fire out, evacuated the folks, " says Wausau fire captain Tom Leslie. "When we got here, we basically ejected all the smoke that was created by the fires. It's very good that the hospital trains to do these kinds of things."
It took about half an hour to get all that smoke out of there. Hospital officials don't know exactly how the fire started, and won't know how much damage was done until the area gets cleaned up.
Enter Zip Code for Custom Weather