Off Campus Housing Safe?

By: Karen Kostko
By: Karen Kostko

Students at UWSP say their off campus houses are run down, and when moving day rolls around, safety codes are the last thing on their minds.

"When you're looking at new places most people don't look for carbon monoxide detectors they're looking to see if their beds are going to fit in this room or their computer stuff like that," says Anthony Knipfer, UWSP student.

Although most of the students say they have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, they say their houses lack proper wiring and fire exits.

Fire officials say it's up to the homeowner or landlord to make sure proper safety codes are met. They include making sure homes have a smoke detector, fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector.


WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 475502 - wsaw.com/a?a=475502
Gray Television, Inc.