Friday starts the 54-hour trivia marathon put on by the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
Contestants from anywhere can participate in this weekend's 34th annual trivia contest, dubbed the world's largest. That's because of the Internet.
Last year more than 11,000 players competed for 456 teams. For the second year in a row, "Network" blew out the competition. The team has won the competition 15 times since the team was formed in 1976.
The teams answer questions aired on UW-Stevens Point radio station WWSP.
wsaw.com: Extended Web Coverage
What is "The World's Largest Trivia Contest?"
- The contest is an annual event that consumes the city for one weekend each April.
- Approximately 7,000 players are drawn to the city each year from outside Stevens Point, some who have been playing the contest since it began in 1969.
- Starting at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, the first day of the contest, and continuing for 54 straight hours, questions are broadcast over the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point’s radio station WWSP (89.9).
- Eight questions are asked each hour and teams have two songs worth of time to call in with the correct answer.
- While most of the contest is made up of questions broadcast over the radio airwaves, several questions will be asked about photographs contained in The New Trivia Times.
- Early Monday morning, at the conclusion of the contest, the top 10 teams receive trophies.
How Can You Participate?
- You can participate by registering for the contest and locating yourself within the radio broadcast range of WWSP 89.9 FM.
- Most teams work out of private homes or hotels.
- You can have as many people on your team as you would like as there is no limit.
- The registration fee is typically $30 or so with the money targeted for the University radio station general operations budget.
- You can register in person the week of the contest right up to the starting time of the contest (6:00 pm).
For more information, or to register for the contest, visit the official Web site of The World's Largest Trivia Contest!