Homeless Family Seeks to Repair House

By: Sabrina Wu
By: Sabrina Wu

A family of four that was burned out of their home at 812 Graves street in Wausau Dec. 5 is trying to raise enough money to repair their house.

The fire started around 9:30 p.m. on Dec. 5 at the home on Graves street. A mother and her two girls that were inside managed to get out okay, but the fire did have a big impact on their holiday season.

"We had to pay an electrician so we could get the furnace going, so the pipes wouldn't freeze." Denise Proctor said. "It really left us short."

She says she is very grateful to the people in Marathon County. Community members brought presents for her two daughters. Proctor says their generosity kept Christmas from being ruined for them. The Red Cross also gave them a place to stay for about six weeks.

"There's a possibility we may be able to stay longer," said Proctor," but we can't guarantee it, because someone else may need to stay here."

The Proctor family's home was not insured. They are now working to raise enough money to repair extensive damage to the interior of their house, as well as to fix the roof. Family and friends have set up a fund for the Proctors at Marathon Savings Bank.


WSAW-TV 1114 Grand Ave. Wausau, WI 54403
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 165616 - wsaw.com/a?a=165616