She went from your normal Northwoods teenager to being crowned Miss Teen USA. But, she did not do it alone and that is why Vanessa Senrow is in Rhinelander, thanking her hometown community for their support.
The 17-year-old now lives in New York, but she is back for a two-day homecoming trip.
We caught up with her at the Oneida County Senior Center as she signed autographs and posed for pictures with her older fans.
Vanessa says she will spend the next year talking to other teenagers across the country about preventing violence and peer pressure.
wsaw.com: Extended Web Coverage
Miss Teen USA 2002 – Vanessa Semrow
- Vanessa's hometown is Rhinelander, WI.
- Vanessa is 17-years-old.
- She began home-schooling a year and a half-ago, and is a college preparatory student averaging a 4.0 GPA.
- Vanessa plans to attend Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois to major in criminal law after her reign.
- Vanessa will spend her year as Miss Teen USA as a national advocate for safety in schools, anti-violence and anti-drug campaigns, the official causes of Miss Teen USA.
- She will also work with organizations such as PAX: Real Solutions to Gun Violence, the "What's Your Anti-Drug?" Campaign, ShiNE (Seeking Harmony in Neighborhoods Everyday) and The Humane Society of the United States.
Miss Teen USA Qualifications
- Contestants must be at least 15 years of age and under 19 years of age by July 1 in the year they participate in the national telecast.
- As preliminary steps, the contestants compete in local and/or state pageants; which are produced by local and state pageant directors.
- The state winners become the Delegates for the national competition.
- Throughout the two-hour Miss Teen USA televised event, the delegates compete in three categories: swimsuit, evening gown and interview.
- Once a Miss Teen USA is crowned, she becomes a representative of the company for one year, traveling the world, meeting heads of state, dignitaries, participating in official charity and social events, appearing on television and speaking on a variety of topics.
- Miss Teen USA, because she is usually still a student, lives at home and makes appearances during weekends and vacations.
Source: Miss Teen USA Web site (www.missteenusa.com)